And it looks like I got the new release of xp, which is XP SP2C. I should have realised something was awry when I notice that it was a new sticker style for the license key, but I didn’t clue in.
So when I tried to install the OS with one of the older discs I have around the office it took the key no problem. However on the first boot, XP required immediate activation. Further to that, when stepping through the activation wizard, no Installation ID was generated.
This is because I used a SP2C cd key with a original SP2 disc. Installing with a SP2C disc solves this problem. A quick search on google and the MS KB didn’t really give me any hints, so I figured I’d post about it here.