Disabling a udev rule that calls part of libata and does some other magic seems to prevent the HSM Violation. This is a temporary workaround until the kernel bug is resolved. Infohere.
For the record, this is on an Acer Aspire One ZG5 with a SuperTalent FEM32GF13M 32GB SSD running Debian/Squeeze and 2.6.30-2-686.
A few months ago I was having issues with the keyboard on my Netbook. I found some keys just simply took more pressure than others to register a hit and I found that results of my typing looked like I was from myspace.
Ebayed a new keyboard with a standard layout instead of the international layout and that problem was solved.
Shortly after that, the power adapter bit it. Ordered a new brick in through a local shop and all is well. Bonus is this one uses a double barrel cord instead of a triple barrel cord and is physically smaller so it’s easier to pack around.
And last but not least, I picked up an 9-cell extended battery from DealExtreme. I found that the 3-cell that came with my AA1 just wasn’t enough to be willing to leave the house without the power adapter. Now instead of 2ish hours of battery life I can run around with 6+. Not bad for $55.
With the above issues resolved I’m finding I like the netbook more and more. I spend less time on my workstation at home, and I leave the work-laptop at work unless I’m going on the road for more than a few days. I’d tried out Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.04 and it’s stuck. I like the netbook launcher over default gnome. This has definitely been one of my more successful toy purchases to date.